Occasionally, you can communicate with someone else in such a way that you are able to convey more than words; you are able to communicate an understanding. One of my best examples is talking to Alex about the 'easy way' and the 'hard way.' When that clicks with him, he really gets it and surenders to it; you can see it in his eyes as it happens.
Recently, I have had good luck in communicating with Michael. Instead of saying 'play hard' to him, I told him that one day, if he is good enough, he might be able to be a Dodger. His eyes lit up with a spark and he has had a hit every at bat since. Yesterday he was not feeling so well, and we almost did not go to the game, but he had a good game (3 for 3) and seemed to get better during the game. As I put him to bed last night, I pointed out to him that he has had a hit in at least his last 17 at bats. I told him that he has about 16 more at bats left this year and if he can keep it up he might be able to get 33 in a row. His eyes sparkled, mouth grinned and you could tell there was only one thing on his mind.
~~~RAP (6.23.2006)
Friday, June 23, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment