Tuesday, February 24, 2009

The "I Love You" Game


That Boy
Originally uploaded by Jagrap
As she dropped the boys off at school this morning, Jenny informed them that she "loves them to pieces." Being boys, they immediately took that notion and turned it around into an ever escalating, competitive frenzy to find smaller pieces to love:" love you to bits" ... "to ashes!" ... "to dust!" ... "to atoms!" A bit ornery, but sweet.

On this same morning, Michael shared with me that he dreamed of Suzanne last night; she came over, but there was a rocket in our backyard. He had to chose between a trip to the moon and playing with her. He chose her. One day, in a few years, they boys will most likely play a competitive "I love you" game with a girl who is not there mother. I venture that it will be more sweet, less ornery, and instead of trying to find smaller pieces, it will be about comparing it to the greatest things they can imagine.

RAP (2.25.2009)

No comments: