Friday, June 26, 2009

Some of the best things in life...


Run While He Counts
Originally uploaded by Jagrap
The boys read a great deal, and, for the most part, I they read whatever they like, but occasionally I shepherd them into titles that they wouldn't select for themselves. I contend there is some value into being forced to expand a bit outside your comfort zone.

In the past, the titles I have chosen for them included Jules Verne's Mysterious Island, William Golding's Lord of the Flies and Orson Scott Card's Ender's Game. Last week, I asked Alex to read Neil Gaiman's Newbery Award-Winning Graveyard Book and Michael to read Mark Twain's Tom Sawyer. They both enjoyed their assignments; Alex staying up past midnight to finish, and Michael enjoyed it so much that asked if we could watch the movie. I was very agreeable to the request, if only to reinforce the good experience, so I downloaded the 1973 version from Amazon, and told him he could invite the neighborhood kids for a screening.

Kami, Suzanne, Patrick and Jane came over and watched the movie with us while feasting on popcorn, junior mints and root beer; a good time was had by all. However the highlight of the evening for the kids was the 20 minutes of ghost in the graveyard at the conclusion of the film. They were screeching, laughing and hollering in a manner that would best be characterized as joy. Some of the best things in life are the things that aren't planned like the chaotically organized backyard games at the end of day, or the book that you were asked to read.

RAP (6.26.2009)

No comments: