Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Where You Are, Isn't Where You Have to Be


My Youngest Son
Originally uploaded by Jagrap
With their lack of experience, small size and lack of aggression football hasn't been a walk in the park for the boys, but last week practices contained good omens.

While walking Alex to practice I noticed that he was dragging a bit, but then his eyes lit up; he saw that the boys were playing some sort of game without shoulder pads, just horsing around. Like a bolt of lightning he was instantly in the fray having a good time.

Later, at Michael's practice, our little guy was overjoyed that he got a tackle in a scrimmage. Thrilled to the bone he told me, "I never look forward to going to practice, but I always have a good time."

That is manna for my soul. I need to keep reminding them that on my first day of football practice I was the slowest kid on the field, but 3 years later I was the fastest kid in my school and anchored the 4x100 meter relay; Where you are, isn't where you have to be.

On Sunday, Alex had his first slobbernocker block and Michael 'hurt' an offensive lineman, both boys defeating opponents a head taller. They may not end of up as football machines 3 years from now, but they are starting to get it.
RAP (9.16.2008)

No comments: