Wednesday, October 22, 2008

He Coudn't Charm His Way Through This

I try to ensure that the boys are well rounded, but it is apparent that Alex has not been introduced to the Greek tragedies that focus on hubris; only one young, brash and unaware of the tales of Bellerophon, Icarus and Oedipus would tempt fate by saying, "I can charm anyone, if I want to."

Alex soon learned he couldn't charm a big, fast, outside linebacker that made him look like a timid, unsure matador. Part of the reason his charm works is that he is bold and fully commits to it. He is not doing that on the field of play. Alex needs to learn is that it is OK to fail, if you do so at full speed. He won't win every battle against a superior opponent, but if throws himself into it he will win some of them, if he wants to.
RAP (10.22.2008)

No comments: