Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Run After Each Other


The Whole Gang
Originally uploaded by Jagrap
Michael had his first middle school dance last Friday night, although it is more like a giant party than a traditional dance. In addition to pseudo-dancing to the music played by the DJ in the school's gym, there was foosball, ping pong, guitar hero and other games along with a massive amount of junk food. I know this, because Alex and I snuck in before the party concluded to see how things were going.

As soon as I walked in the door, I spied my old offensive line coach and we chatted for a bit. He told me that the "dances" were hilarious, and that, for the most part, they boys and girls "ran after each other" and maybe "by the final song they would get in a dance." When we caught up with Michael we found him hanging out with Sterling and Nathan, both kids that are on his football team; he just met these kids a few weeks ago, and this type of camaraderie generated is a big part of the payoff of being on the team.

Of course, these events aren't all about male bonding; the entire school was there, including his friend Suzanne. I would have talked to her, but she and Michael were literally running after each other as the final few songs blasted in the gym that night. They didn't dance, but this was only his first opportunity.

RAPatton (9.16.2009)

No comments: