Friday, May 15, 2009

Clowing Around


Clowing Around
Originally uploaded by Jagrap
Last night I took the boys and Suzanne to the Ringling Brothers and Barnum & Bailey Circus; they enjoyed the animals, daring stunts and jesters fighting over a hat, but I could have taken them to the zoo to see animals, watched a movie see daring escapades and turned on any of the Sunday Morning programs if I wanted to see a bunch of clowns brawling over the trivial.

I brought them to the Circus so that they could share an experience together, and it was more successful than I could have hoped for. They did all sorts of things that generated smiles: Suzanne would feed Michael one of his assorted sour balls and make him guess the flavor, Alex engineered a cha-cha-cha conga line that had them bouncing up and down and even a few of the things the performers did had them talking.

However, the highlight of the evening came when I was tired and just wanted it to be over; I was up early that day, and it was already late for a school night. I looked over to my left, after hearing some giggling, to spy Michael and Suzanne were pulling an oversized hat over their noggins, completely covering their eyes and then laughing at their mischief as they pulled it off. It went on and on, as they alternated, and their hearty laughs often rose above the music of the final act. I pretended not to notice, because I didn't want my observations to interfere with the reason why we ventured to the Circus that night.

RAPatton (5.15.2009)

No comments: