Thursday, August 27, 2009

Shepherd and Rockin' Sheep


Hanging With Metric
Originally uploaded by Jagrap
As the dawn of their teenage years approaches, I expect that music is going to become more important to the boys, as it often does at that age. As their father, it is my responsibility to shepherd them as they discover their musical taste to help them discover the better material and avoid the musical junk food. I've always had them listen to what I listen to, and that has shaped them to this point. One of my happier moments was when a very small Michael charmed the sales girls at Vroman's Bookstore singing "Molly's Chambers" as I checked out years ago.

This past year I've decided that they are old enough to start attending live shows. They've had a pretty good time, enjoyed some of the performances and they liked hearing from all the enthusiastic (and drunk) concert goers about how "cool" it is that they are there. To this point, we've only taken them to outdoor shows, so as not to damage their hearing, but I've been able to take them to meet a few bands for smaller acoustic sets at indoor locations. One such opportunity happened Monday afternoon of last week when I was able to introduce the boys to the lovely Emily Haines and James Shaw of Metric; it was quite a thrill, and, I hope, a memory that will last. It was a good way to cap off the summer, but school has started and with it homework. Yesterday, Michael had to fill out a questionnaire as part of his choir homework. I glanced over it, and when I saw that he wrote "Alternative" for his preference in music, I smiled.

RAP (8.27.2009)

No comments: