I've always tried to watch the same movies and television programs as the boys, just as I encourage them to read books I've read. It controls the quality of storytelling they take in, steering them towards (what I believe) to be better written and execute material, but it also gives us something that we can relate with and talk about; it acts as a cornerstone as they share what they thought about a particular piece.
However, they are getting older, and as much as I see myself in each, they are not just a subset of me, and they have to be allowed to become their own people (with guidance), with their own tastes and experiences. For the most part, I've been hanging farther back in recent times, usually within ear shot. This summer I've taken it a step farther, by allowing them to go to the movies nominally on their own. They have to stay together, I give them a cell phone, and I choose earlier less crowded shows, but they are watching it on their own. At Michael's age, I would often spend the day at the cinema, watching film after film, and it seemed that they were ready for this step. Of course, while not in earshot, I am not to far away; just the next theater over, in case they need me, or more typically so that they can share what they loved about the movie.
RAP (8.21.2009)
Friday, August 21, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment