Wednesday, August 26, 2009

The Task is the Reward


Let's Roll
Originally uploaded by Jagrap
Finding the right thing to motivate a child isn't always the easiest thing to do. I almost always prefer the carrot to the stick because, although you can make them do something with a stick, I'd rather have them make themselves do it to acquire the carrot.

Somewhere between all the books, films and travels, an essential skill of childhood had fallen through the cracks for Alex; he had never learned to ride a bike. Part of it was the time; the good weather months are always very busy. The other component of the equation was that he never really had any interest it. Early this summer, I finally discovered what would make a bicycle appealing to him; he lit up at the prospect of riding to the pool with Michael. The sort of freedom and adventure it could bring was too much for him to resist any longer. I acquired a bicycle for him that would be easier to learn on than his brother's, and we worked with him. As the summer progressed, he became better and better at riding. And last week he was ready to ride off to the pool with his brother (shown here).

I prefer to use rewards are as motivation, but it is especially sweet when you can find a confluence where the task itself is part of the reward, and I am hopeful that they will realize that most things that seem hard can take them places they may want to go.

RAP 8.26.2009

No comments: