When Alex was first told he needed glasses he got a little teary. Then, at the final fitting, he became stoic trying not to let his disappointment seep through as he protested quietly about trivial things. It was not an atmosphere of joy and celebration so much as one of resignation. I tried to spin it as much as could, telling him about my first pair when I was 4 and welcoming him to the club; however, I wear contacts day to day and this stratagem had little success.
We were headed to Dayton to see my parents that morning, so I secretly called ahead and requested that my father wear his glasses this day as a subliminal show of solidarity. That seemed to work, so much so that when my dad took his off, Alex wanted to take his off too. At this point Alex conceded to himself, and the world, that he could read things far away that he could not before. Soon concession snowballed into enthusiasm, as he started comparing what he could spy at a distance with and without his new spectacles.
RAP (7.28.2008)
Monday, July 28, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment