Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Lessons Aren't Just for Kids


Take A Knee
Originally uploaded by Jagrap
Football has started, and as I hoped, it is not easy; they are being worked hard, and they are persevering through it. At the end of the day, I have no doubts that they will be better for it. It is my hope that it can teach both of them a some things.

Michael needs to learn to pay attention more and learn to act with more urgency; their is no better feedback system than getting (safely) hit to aide in that.

Alex needs to learn to not take the easy way out, and I think he is getting there. Just being out in the evening sun for two hours voluntarily is a very good thing. There is a lot to be learned in choosing a harder path that has a small payout for a lot of investment.

The lessons aren't reserved for the boys though. After I witnessed Alex stand straight up during tackling drills, I was showing Michael how to improve his form. However, Michael fired out low, hard and tackled well. I need to remember they are different boys, with dissimilar strengths and weakness that are need of diverse lessons. I hope and believe that his foray into football has lessons for both, and perhaps for me also.
RAP (8.13.2008)

No comments: